The Cofradia de la Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria takes it credo from Mary’s vital role in the life of the church as gleaned from the spirit of Third Diocesan Synod of Jaro. We thus affirm that,
– Mary precedes us in our pilgrimage to the Father and we look to her as Model and Mother, the odigitria, one who shows us the way to Jesus;
– Mary’s faith is that of a pilgrim characterized by her attentiveness to the ways of the Spirit in her life;
– through this, Mary possessed the ability to interpret her life weaving through the Father’s eternal plan.
We will endeavor to live, therefore, her life as shown to us in sacred scriptures when,
– in the Annunciation she readily offered her life as the maternal instrument of Salvation saying, “let it be done to me as you say”: this is to be expressed in our attentiveness to the will of God in prayer and in the Call discerned through the daily events of life;
– in the Visitation she went in haste to help her cousin Elizabeth; this is to be expressed in our eagerness to help our brothers and sisters who are in need in a life lived and guided by the social teachings of the church;
– beneath the Cross she stood valiantly amidst her pain and suffering in participation to the passion of her Son; this is expressed in our readiness to accept and endure trials and difficulties for the sake of Jesus and his work in and for the church;
– in the Upper Room with the disciples she awaited with them the descent of the Holy Spirit in the event that gave birth to the church; this is expressed in our active involvement in the apostolate of the local church and most especially in our parish.
Thus, the charism of this confraternity is to promote true devotion to Mary in the call of the times: in a life lived in constant attentiveness to God’s call; a life lived for others; a life lived with openness to accept the sacrifices occasioned and brought about by faithfulness to the way of Jesus; and a life lived in active participation in the life and mission of the local church.
The objective of the Cofradia are as follows:
a. To promote proper devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary in accordance with the spirit and directives of the Second Vatican Council, the Second Plenary Council of the Philippines and the Third Diocesan Synod of the Archdiocese of Jaro.
b. To promote active participation in the life and mission of the local church through active involvement in the apostolate of the parish where its members reside.
Any baptized lay member of the Roman Catholic Church, 18 years of age or over and has not received any sanctions and/or penalties from the Church is eligible for membership in the Cofradia.
The Cofradia is composed of two types of membership: the Active Members and Affiliate Members.
a. The Active Members are those who have undergone the prescribed formation and requirements, and have committed themselves to the charism and duties prescribed for Active Members of the Cofradia.
b. Affiliate members share in the charism of the cofradia but at the time being cannot fulfill the requirements and duties of active membership.
The duties of the members of the Cofradia are as follows:
a. For Active Members
1. Active membership in the life and mission of the parish whether as members of the parish councils, ministries, professional and volunteer catechists and others that promote the parish life and mission.
2. Pray the liturgy of the hours namely the morning and evening prayers which are the hinges of the day’s activity of a Cofradia member.
3. Pray the rosary as a group during first Saturdays.
4. Over and above the Eucharistic celebrations of Sunday and days of obligation, they are required to participate in the Eucharist every first Saturday of the month and recite as individuals or as a group the prayer of the cofradia.
5. Participate actively in the social apostolate of the parish and the Cofradia.
6. Attend meetings and formation programs held quarterly.
7. Commit themselves to the popularization and propagation of the devotion to the Candelaria.
8. Acts as guardians and facilitators of devotion in the Shrine of Our Lady of Candles at the Jaro Cathedral.
b. For Affiliate Members
1. To pray the rosary as a group during first Saturdays.
2. Over and above the Eucharistic celebrations of Sunday and days of obligation, they are required to participate in the Eucharist every first Saturday of the month and recite as individuals or as a group the prayer of the cofradia.
3. Participate actively in the social apostolate of the parish and the group.
4. Commit themselves to the popularization and propagation of the devotion to the Candelaria.
5. Acts as cooperators to the guardians of the Shrine of Our Lady of Candles at the Jaro Cathedral.
Norma J. Aguirre
Lydia L. Alconga
Consolacion S. ALenaje
Jean D. Arguelles
Manuel A. Arguelles
Perla O. Arguelles
Ninfa M. Baylen
Mila B. BIllones
Alma D. Blanca
Lea A. Celis
Mae L. Chua
Cathryn S. Contrador
Corazon de Leon
Amelu A. Dichupa
Lydia J. Dionio
Imelda C. Florete
Rosalia F. Galila
Jean J. Gustilo
Myrna O. Hablado
Lygia V. Hobilla
Ma. Elsie G. Jabat
Louella P. Jacomille
Ma. Teresa J. Jamili
Elenita G. Java
Ruth G. Javelosa
Violeta D. Lamis
Amelita E. Lazarraga
Linda P. Licauan
Remia J. Locisin
Mariflor J. Lopez-Vito
Ma. Lourdes Y. Macalalag
Adela J. Montero
Ma. Fe L. Penecilla
Rose Marie R. Piamonte
Lydia H. Plondaya
Bernadette M. Porras
Ma. Teresa S. Rivera
Ma. Elena O. Salazar
Gorgonia S. Siscar
Teresita J. Tan
Emma M. Victoria
Astrea S. Villa
Lourdes P. Villa
Spiritual Director: Rt. Rev. Msgr. Higinio Velarde, PA, VG